3rd - 2nd century A.D. Buddhist establishment consisting of a Mahachaitya, stupas, chaityagrihas, a congregation hall, platforms, viharas, kitchen-cum-store complex, pottery at Bavikonda, Bojjana andPavuralakonda. And an extensive monastic complex, comprising a mahastupa, apsidal and circular chaityagrihas, votive stupas, rock cut cisterns, a congregation hall, a refractory, pathwaysat Tatlakonda.
7th century AD Buddhist settelments with numerous monolithic votive stupas, rock cut caves and buildings at Sankaram
9th -11th century AD Andhra king (9-11th century AD), on his way to Benares, rested here. So enchanted was he with the sheer beauty of the place that he ordered a temple to be built in honor of his familydeity, Visakha.
1516 and 1519 Sri Krishna Devaraya after defeating Prataparudra Gajapathi visited the Simhachalam shrine twice in 1516 AD and 1519 AD and offered numerous villages for maintenance of bhogam(worship) along with valuable jewelry, of which an emerald necklace is still in the temple.
1624 The Dutch arrived at Bhimili 28 km's away from Visakhapatnam
1624 The Dutch have constructed a fort measuring 235 x 405 feet with four minaret, Clock Tower, Mint at Bhimili
1682 Dutch were the first to settle in Visakhapatnam for trade purposes
A branch of the English East India Company appears to have settled at Vizagpatnam in the middle of the seventeenth century.
The presence of the Dutch, their rivals in trade at Bhimilipatnam and Vizagapatnam, and 'interloper' Thomas Bowerey who interfered with the Company to decide upon the establishment of a factory and settlement at Vizagapatnam. A branch of the English East India Company appears to have settled at Vizagpatnam in the middle of the seventeenth century. The presence of the Dutch, their rivals in trade at Bhimilipatnam and Vizagapatnam, and 'interloper' Thomas Bowerey who interfered with the Company to decide upon the establishment of a factory andsettlement at Vizagapatnam.
1689 In 1689 on account of a state of war between Aurangazeb and the Company, the emperor had got the Company's warehouses here seized and put all the English residents to the sword. Thisdisaster to the Company's warehouses here seized and put all the English residents to the sword.
1753-1756-1757 In 1753 the Circars were ceded to the French and at the end of 1756 Bussy marched in person against Vizagapatam and reached the place on the 24th June 1757 with a very large force.
1758 Britishers came here on 20th October 1758 under the leadership of Col. Ford. French left this area in the same year. With the advent of British rule, Vizag grew in importance as aport.
1780 On the 3rd of October 1780 a serious mutiny occurred among the sepoys at Vizagapatam. To meet Haider Ali's invasion of the Carnatic the Government ordered four companies of the troops thenstationed at Vizagapatam to embark for Madras.
1803 The Visakhapatnam district was made one Collectorate and placed under Hon'ble L.G. Keith Murray.
1841 Daba Gardens Observatory was established Mr. G.V. Jaggarao
1858 The Voluntary Municipal Association was set up in Visakhapatnam
1882-83 Vizagapatam continued to be an important military station till the year 1882-83 when, during Lord Ripon's Viceroyalty, a number of military stations were abolished.
1883 The Waltair Club was established by the Officers of the East Coast Railway, East Coast Battalion and other Civilian Officers stationed at Visakhapatnam in the year 1883.
1904 The Victoria Diamond Jubilee Town Hall was the handsome gift of the Maharaja of Bobbili to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of the late Qaueen Victoria and was handed over to the VizagapatamMunicipality on March 8th 1904.
1912 The era of electricity came to Visakhapatnam through the Waltair Club in the form of two diesel generators for the club supplied by Messrs. Crompton Engineering Company in 1912.
1915 Jose Bioscope Company came to Vizagpatam to Screen the movie with Dinoma engines in the Tents.
1919 Sri Buddhiraju Eshwarapantulu started another Biosocpe company and showed them in the Haveli (the present site of the Guptha Bros' House)
1920 Sri Rama Touring Talkies and Sri Krishna Touring Talkies began showing movies.
1921 Mahatma Gandhi and Mohammed Ali in Waltair : In 1921 Mahatma Gandhi and Mohammed Ali stopped at Waltair on their way to Calcutta from Vijayawada AICC Seccion. With GandhijiMohammed Ali addressed the people gathered at Waltair Railway Station Platform. Mohammad Ali was arrested at Waltair, and the people became restive. Nationalist Muslim Razak was verymuch agitated and protested strongly at the arrests and also tried to prevent the police from taking away Mohammed Ali. At this stage Gandhiji and Butchi Sundara Rao pacified Razak byexplaining to him the principle of Satyagraha and the spirit of non-violence.
1922 In August, 1922, the AICC met at Visakhapatnam, at that meeting Vallabai Patel and Vithalbai Patel were congratulated for the lead they have taken in the "Flag Satyagraha". Atthe same session once again resolutions were passed concerning the safety of Indians who were living in foreign countries which are under the British except in Newfoundland andNewzealand.
1924 In 1924 The British Secretary of State sanctioned a major port in Visakhapatnam
1926 Andhra University was established
1930 Marwaries from Bombay built Select Talkies, near Old Visakhapatnam Station. Those days these is the most modern theatre with the facilities like Balcony, Projector, Seating etc. Mr Purnamal finaced Mr. G.K. Manga Raju to construct Purna Talkies
1931 An election was held for the Vice-Chancellorship by about 1931 in which a contest developed between two giants, Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan and King George V Professor of Philosophy inCalcutta University, who had already attained worldwide reputation as a great teacher, scholar and mutual interpreter of the West and Eastern Cultures and Sri Raghupati Venkatarathnam Naidugaru known for his saitly character and learning, a former Vice-Chancellor of the Madras University and the Principal of the Pithapuram Maharaja College at Kakinda. Dr. SarvepalliRadhakrishnan emerged as successful and took charge of his office in Waltair as Vice-Chancellor.
1933 The Agent of B.N.R. appointed as the Administrative Officer for developing the Vizag Port. The same was completed and then opened to Ocean Traffic on 07-10-1933.
1935 In the 1935 Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore came to A.U. Waltair for the help for securing a munificent grant from the Maharajah of Jeypore for his University at Santiniketan.
1937 The first film Studio "Andhra Cine Studio" was constructed by G Jagannatha Raju and others at Sithamma Dhara. The studios was constructed in picturesque location surounding with Hills, Trees, beautiful lawns and one Peacock and one Tiger and had all the latest technologies at that time. Two movies "Pasupathasthram" directed by famouse Bengali Director Hiran Bose & "Bhkta Jayadev" directred by K K Rangarao were completed shooting in this studio.
1938 Universal Talkies Near Old Lighthouse at Soldier's Pet and another theatre "Geazearan" was constructed.
1941 The first Ship Building Yard of the Nation was built by Mr. Lalchand Hira Chand of Sindia Company.
1945 Geazearan Theatre was used for the militry personal during the war.
1947 Minarva Located at the beach road
1948 The first Ship "Jala Usha", built by Visakhapatnam Shipyard was launched by the first Prime Minister of India Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru on 14th March 1948
1949 Saraswathi Theatre Constructed by Leela Prasad Bros
1950 National Theatre & Lakshmi Talkies Constructed
1960 Andhra University Library moved to the new five-storeyed Building on 4th December, 1960.
1961 For the first time in South India, the department of Anthropology was established in Andhra University.
1964 Coromandel Fertilisers Limited Established
1969 To cater to the needs of the Indian Navy,the Naval Science & Technological Laboratory (NSTL) was established on 20 August 1969 under DRDO inside the Andhra University Campus at Visakhapatnam
1971 Bharat Heavy Plate Vessels Ltd. established
1971 Eastern Naval Command's Vicotory in the 1971 war against Pakistan's Naval Command.
1976 Dredging Corporation of India (A Govt. of India Undertaking), was launched
1978 Visakhapatnam Urban Development Authority (VUDA) was constituted in 1978
1979 Vizag Municipality has converted to Visakhapatnam Municipal Corporation.
1991 Taj Residency, Vishakapatnam
1993 NSDRC, an ISO 9001 organization, is an autonomous body under the adminstrative control of the Ministry of Surface Transport, Government of India, established in 1993
1995 Rotary Club - Visakha Port City was chartered on 3rd October '95